Pages

Thursday, December 29, 2016

December MAGAM Travel PJ's completed and a strange phenomenon in my sewing closet.....

December MAGAM Completed 

My December MAGAM challenge of some new travel pj's is complete - and in record time!  Using my favorite 2-hour turtleneck pattern for the top (minus the turtleneck portion) and McCall's 3017 for the bottoms, I sewed both of them almost entirely on the serger.   Aren't they cute!

The serger has since taken a trip to the sewing hospital as it was making a terrible squeeking noise towards the end - it didn't want anything to do with sewing on the elastic for the waistband.  I wonder if the color of the pj's caused it to become sick?  They are a similar shade to hospital gowns.....I didn't read anything in the owner's manual about the machine having an aversion to sewing certain colors.  Hmm, I'll never know.  Anyways, I'm not sure what the visiting hours are in the serger ward, but they tell me it should be back to normal in about a week or two.  Whew!


I used some bird print ribbon that I had in the stash to embellish the bottoms of the sleeves and the pant legs.  And, using the ribbon as a guide, I drew a bird to use to embellish the bottom of the top front.  Don't laugh at my bird - I'm not the best artist in the world, but I think it looks pretty close to the one on the ribbon.

Using some quilting scraps, I traced the bird onto some double sided fusible and fused him to the front and then used the blanket stitch on the sewing machine to stitch him down.  I found the perfect black ball button in the stash to use for the eyeball.

Here's a close-up of the ribbon on the sleeve.

Adding the 3 yards for these pj's to my stashbustin total for the year brings me to a grand total of:

106 yards for 2016!!

Since I started tracking my sewn yardage back in July of 2014, here's where I am so far:

2014 = 48.75 yards
2015 = 68.875 yards
2016 = 106 yards

For a grand total of 223.625 yards!  Holy Cow!  That's alot of stitchin!  Which now leads me onto....

The strange phenomenon in my sewing closet...


Can you see what has happened here?  I think that is actually some empty shelf space in my sewing room closet stash!!!!  Yes - there is a wall behind all of the fabric - I can verify it because I actually touched it to be sure!  After keeping track of the stash sewing over the last few years and trying to focus mainly on reducing it, I can actually see some progress starting to happen with the stash!  I no longer have pieces hidden in other rooms, or piled on the floor in my sewing room, or stacked up on my cutting board (well - there are two pieces at the moment waiting to be cut out).  There is actually some room in the closet!  Are you reading this DH? - That trip to New York is now a "very faint" light at the end of the stash tunnel!  It's faint, but I can see it!!!!

Now before I run out to the store and buy some more fabric thinking I have some extra space that needs to be filled, I'm going to move my 11 shoe boxes of zippers (yes, you read that correctly - 11 shoe boxes of zippers) from the guest room closet into the closet in the sewing room. And with the Sewing Garage Sale coming up in April, I will have to practice some self control there too knowing my goal of a shopping trip in New York is getting closer.  It's going to be tough, but by actually seeing a little progress (finally), I think it might actually happen now!  Whoop!  Whoop!

That's it for me now - I need to cut out those two things on the cutting board and start a new yardage total for 2017.

Wishing everyone a Happy New Sewing Year!

Star

10 comments:

  1. Those PJ's are seriously gorgeous - and warm and snuggly too. Sorry to hear about the serger - still, they do need servicing from time to time. Impressed with your stash reduction and I think I am going to have to copy you. Just think, you have shelves to fill again! Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work sewing down the stash and finding empty shelf space. I'm certainly going to get my stash down this new year. Going to strive for a buying moratorium, but I can't make a hard/fast promise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. I like the sound of a buying moratorium. It has a ring to it!

      Delete
  3. I love the use of prints in your little bird. You have an eye for color and texture. Very impressive yardage totals for the year, but good luck holding back at the April fabric sale. New larger location and more fabric than past years. It will be fun!
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise. I know, the garage sale is going to be tough not to buy a lot this year.

      Delete
  4. I think you have created a new category of clothing...understated cute. Your pajamas are both elegant and adorable. And mucho congrats on that bit of bare space, you should by yourself a little trophy to put in that hard won empty space. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww these are so cute! Its amazing how something so simple can still look effective with the finishing touches. PJ's are on my list for making this year. I left a pair behind on our last holiday as they were falling apart they didn't warrant the carriage home! Well done in completing yours so quickly too for the December MAGAM too.

    ReplyDelete